Thursday, September 7, 2017

My Grandmother's Legacy

A couple weeks ago my Grandmother, Mollie Chenchinsky, moved into an Assisted Living facility. In the weeks leading up to the move she was busy packing and getting rid of things she would no longer need. Among many other things that she gave me was a card file box filled with all of her recipes.  All of these note cards are hand written and most of them are older than me.

One of the things my Grandmother is known for is her amazing cookies.  All of us grandchildren looked forward to cookie care packages when we were in college.  We loved getting a little taste of home and we often shared them with our friends. As each of our college years ended and our friend went in different directions they also remembered Grandma Mollie's cookies. I have friends to this day that live on other countries and still ask me if my Grandma is still alive and baking her amazing cookies.

Well yes, Grandma Mollie is now just a few months shy of her 100th birthday but has finally had to give up her baking. She no longer has a kitchen where she lives. The recipes are now mine and with them the legacy that goes with them.

I consider it a bit of a terrifying honor to have these cookie recipes as well as her other recipes. I have never been much of a baker but I feel I have to try and make each and every one of them so when my Grandmother is gone these flavors that we have grown to love will go on. So the next generation can love them like I do.

To that end, this year for Rosh Hashannah I will be attempting to make my two favorites of Grandma Mollie's cookies, The Toffee Bars and The Lemon Bars. I will take them to dinner at my parent's house and put them to the ultimate test. The family, including Grandma Mollie will get to try them.

They may not taste exactly like when Grandma makes them but hopefully they will be good.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment